Unit Plan #5 F Block Mrs. Wissler/Mr. Clark
CELL ENERGY AND HOMEOSTASIS UNIT
Homeostasis Examples: The Circulatory System and the Respiratory System
Student should be able to:
- Identify the reactants, products, and basic purposes of photosynthesis and cellular respiration. MCAS 2.4
- Explain the interrelated nature of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the cells of photosynthetic organisms. MCAS 2.4
- Explain the important role that ATP serves in metabolism. MCAS 2.5
- Explain how the circulatory system (heart, arteries, veins, capillaries, red blood cells) transports nutrients and oxygen to cells and removes cell wastes. MCAS 4.2
- List the four major components of blood (plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets) and the significance of each.
- Label the parts of the circulatory and respiratory system including tracing the path of blood through the heart.
- Describe how the kidneys and the liver are closely associated with the circulatory system as they perform the excretory function of removing waste from the blood. MCAS 4.2
- Explain how the respiratory system (nose, pharynx, larynx, trachea, lungs, alveoli) provides exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. MCAS 4.3
- Complete an essay describing how the circulatory system and the respiratory system enable individual body cells to maintain homeostasis.
- How does the structure & function of cells contribute to the organism as a whole & aid in homeostasis?
- How do systems function?
Cells have specific structures and functions that make them distinctive. There is a relationship between the organization of cells into tissues and the organization of tissues into organs. The structures and functions of organs determine their relationships within body systems of an organism. Homeostasis allows the body to perform its normal functions.
- Check Homework, Warm-Up: Energy Overview/Formula Puzzles
- ATP notes, Heterotroph and Autotrophs
- Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Powerpoint
- Group work: Create a Cellular Respiration vs. Photosynthesis Graphic Organizer (groups of 2-4)
Homework: Guided Reading Sec 9.1 #1-8 and 9.2 #1-9
- Finish Cell Respiration Powerpoint
- Review activity for cell energy
Homework: Sec 9.3 Guided Reading #1-8, Review notes for Quiz on Friday
- Review homework
- Quiz on Cell Energy
- Introduction to Cardiovascular System and The Bloodmobile Song
- Homeostasis in the Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
- Heart Rate Lab: How does heart rate help your body maintain homeostasis?
Homework: Finish lab if not completed during class
- Warm-Up: Circulatory System Purpose
- Circulatory System Structures and Function Table with Graphics (as time allows)
- Pathway of Blood Review and Flashcard Activity
- Complete Circulatory System Notes
Homework: Circulatory System Handout and Guided Reading Questions
- Review Answers from previous class
- Role of the Kidneys and Liver to Circulatory System
- Overview of Respiratory System
Homework: Respiratory System Guided Reading #1-15
- Why do we breathe?
- Respiratory System Structures and Function Powerpoint
- Respiratory System Diagram
Homework: Circulatory and Respiratory Systems Quiz Study Guide
- Warm Up: Respiratory System
- Diagram: Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen Exchange in the Alveoli and Cells
- Homeostasis Essay Prompt: Tying Concepts Together
- Circulatory and Respiratory System Quiz
Homework: Midterm Review Packet
- Midterm Review